Add a twist to your next calzones with these salami, basil, and capsicum pita pockets.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 tbs olive oil
1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red capsicum, deseeded, thinly sliced
150g sliced mild salami, coarsely chopped
200g mixed Solanato tomatoes, halved
420g pkt wholemeal pita pockets
2/3 cup tomato passata
1 cup grated pizza cheese
60g baby rocket leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°c. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 7 minutes or until softened. Add salami and tomato and stir for 3 minutes or until warmed through and tomato starts to soften. Remove pan from heat.
- Warm pita pockets as per packet instructions. Cut in half. Using the back of a spoon, spread insides of pita halves with passata. Sprinkle half the cheese among pockets. Divide salami mixture among pockets and finish with remaining cheese.
- Carefully place pita pockets on a tray and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve pita pockets with rocket.
These pita pockets are a quick version of a calzone. Alternatively, split the pockets into 2 rounds and top with the mix, like a pizza.
Photo, recipe, and instruction credit to woolworths.com