Servings – 12 servings
Prep Time – 20 minutes
Cook Time – 35 minutes
- Small knob of butter
- 1 small eating apple, peeled and finely diced,
- 6 chorizo-style cooking sausages
- Small handful of parsley, chopped
- 375g pack puff pastry
- 3 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp poppy seed
- Put the butter and apple in a small pan and cook for 5 mins until the apple has softened, then cool.
- Remove the sausage skins and put the meat in a bowl. Add the cooled apple and the parsley, and mash everything together with a fork or your hands.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. roll out the pastry to a rectangle, roughly 32 x 20cm. Cut in half, so that you now have 2 long thin rectangles. Spoon the apple sauce down the centre of each piece of pastry. Shape the chorizo mixture into 2 long sausages and put on top of the apple sauce. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little beaten egg, then bring the pastry together on one side to enclose the filling, and seal by pressing the pastry with a fork.
- Cut the sausage rolls into smaller pieces, each about 7cm long, and arrange on 2 baking trays. Brush with egg, then sprinkle with poppy seeds. Cut small slashes into each roll. Bake for 25-30 mins, changing the trays over halfway through the cooking time. Delicious served warm, or cold on a picnic.
Ingredients, and directions from bbcgoodfood.com
Image from ousevalleyliving.com